WEEK 2: SUBMISSION 1: FORMAL LETTER (DESCRIPTIVE REFLECTION)

Subject: Self Introduction

Dear Professor Brad,

My name is Thomas Ong, a student from your CVE1281 Effective Communication module and the purpose of writing this letter is to let you know more about myself.

I graduated from Singapore Polytechnic with a diploma in civil engineering in 2017 and was first exposed to civil engineering in polytechnic. I had no idea what it was about and only started gaining interest in it when during my internship with Top Pave Pte Ltd. It was then I realised that there is so much more to civil engineering than what I was learning in class which grew my appreciation for it.

One communication trait I have is that I am a good listener. I try to understand what others are saying and provide constructive feedback to let them know I am interested. One weakness I have is that whenever I talk faster than I think, I will jumble up my words.

In this module, I am hoping to learn how to use words in proper structure and to be more confident when expressing myself. I feel that these two skills would aid me in speaking more eloquently and help me put my thoughts across in a more clear and concise way for my audience.

Lastly, something that sets me apart from others is my willingness to learn. Having experience in the industry has made me realise that whatever I had learnt in polytechnic was just a small fraction of what is relevant. I was proactive and acclimated to my environment in a short amount of time while constantly learning throughout and am still looking to better myself despite my experience.

I hope that through this letter, you have come to know me better and I am looking forward to learning more from you.

 

Best regards,

Thomas Ong

Comments

  1. Hi Thomas,

    I am so happy to get to know more about you through your self introductory letter. Your letter was complete, courteous and clear. Do you mind sharing with me more about your working experience in class? I am interested to know more! :)

    Cheers,
    Ian Marc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ian,

      Thank you for taking your time to read my introduction letter and I hope to see you around and tell you more in school.

      Best Regards,
      Thomas Ong

      Delete
  2. Hi Thomas,

    Your self-introductory letter was well written and I enjoyed reading your letter. I like the flow of your contents, from the way you explain your interest in engineering, it is concise and clear, intriguing me to read on. I hope you'll benefit from the class and communicate more eloquently.

    Regards,
    Farzana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Furzana,

      Thank you for taking your time to read my letter and appreciate your comments. I too hope that you will benefit from the class and see you around.

      Best Regards,
      Thomas Ong

      Delete
  3. Dear Thomas,

    Thanks for this finely detailed letter. It's clear, fluent and highly informative. You do a fine job addressing the assignment brief as you share your educational/poly background and internship experience, your needs and levels in terms of communication skills and your goals. In particular, it's interesting to read about your understanding of the different ways of learning and the value of applying learning within a workplace .

    I look forward to reading more about you this term.

    Cheers,

    Brad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Prof Brad,

      Thank you for taking the time to read my letter. I too look forward to learning more from you as well.

      Best regards,
      Thomas Ong

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts